The MICA Version 2.0 Navigational Stars catalog contains the same objects as listed in the The Nautical Almanac. In the description below, 'b' stands for a blank character and 'N' stands for a single (0-9) digit and 'C' stands for a single character.
The following fields are contained within each entry in the Navigational Star List:
- Navigation Star Name
- This name was obtained directly from The Nautical Almanac. This is a searchable field. Examples: 'Acamar', 'Zubenelgenubi', or 'Alkaid'.
- Navigational Star Number
- A two-digit number (1-59) uniquely identifying the navigation stars listed in The Nautical Almanac plus Polaris (58) and Sigma Octantis (59). This is a searchable field.
- Flamsteed Catalogue Designation
- The Flamsteed format is 'NNNbCCC', where NNN is a 1-3 digit number ordered by increasing RA within the constellation abbreviation 'CCC'. This is a searchable field. This information was obtained from the object database at the SIMBAD web site. Examples: '9 Lib', '85 UMa'.
- Bayer Catalogue Designation
- The Bayer format is 'aaabCCC', where 'aaa' stands for the greek letter abbreviation, (ordered by decreasing brightness), and 'CCC' is the constellation abbreviation. May have component designations included. This is a searchable field. This information was obtained from the object database at the SIMBAD web site. Examples: 'Tet01 Eri', 'Alf02 Lib', 'Eta UMa'.
- V (F7.2)
- V magnitude - With the exception of Betelgeuse (ALF ORI), the V magnitudes were obtained directly from The Nautical Almanac, 2006. Since Betelgeuse's V magnitude can vary between 0 and 1, it is listed as 0.5 for easier searching. This is a searchable field.